We are all ONE

Sunday 18 June 2017

Hello Lovely, 

I've started to get back into my reading now that University has finished for the year (Yay!). I feel that I haven't been able to fully immerse myself into reading for quite some time but that renewed sense of passion and enjoyment has returned, gladly. 

Today I want to share a book with you that I had on my kindle sitting patiently for some time and I managed to read it only through it being required reading for my final university assignment. I believe this book to be one of a kind and one that truly touched me deeply with the topic it centred around. If you've not yet read it then I urge you to do so at the earliest possible time. It will warm your heart and break it utterly and completely. 


One is written by Sarah Crossan, published by Bloomsbury Children's, has 192 pages. I read the ebook version that I purchased myself and which you can purchase here

This book won a lot of awards which is why it was a required reading for my children's literature university course. Shall we see what the blurb says? 


WINNER OF THE YA BOOK PRIZE 2016

WINNER OF THE CILIP CARNEGIE MEDAL 2016

WINNER OF THE CBI BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARD 2016

WINNER OF THE CLIPPA POETRY AWARD 2016

Grace and Tippi don't like being stared and sneered at, but they're used to it. They're conjoined twins - united in blood and bone. 

What they want is to be looked at in turn, like they truly are two people. They want real friends. And what about love?

But a heart-wrenching decision lies ahead for Tippi and Grace. One that could change their lives more than they ever asked for...

This moving and beautifully crafted novel about identity, sisterhood and love ultimately asks one question: what does it mean to want and have a soulmate? 

The ONE book you have to read this summer! Incredibly moving and extraordinarily crafted, it explores the unbreakable bond and love between sisters. Winner of The CILIP Carnegie Medal in 2016.




You can see from the blurb that this book sounds brilliant can't you? I have to say that I found this book to be an incredibly easy read and that was for 2 reason's; (1) It was a beautifully gripping storyline that just hooked you in and made you want to keep turning pages and (2) because of the format in which it was set out in. The layout of the text in this book looked a like the way in which one sees poetry written and published. 

What I loved about this book was that you could very easily tell that Sarah has researched the storyline with incredible detail, compassion and a level of authentic understanding. As this book is the story of conjoined twins; Tippi and Grace the story is narrated by only one twin. We learn the 'normality' of their life and the fact that they are very much aware of 'those questions' so many want to ask about their daily lives that they dare not to. Questions such as; "Is it hard to shower and see each other naked?" "What's it like when you go to the toilet?" "Will you be able to have children of your own?", "Do you wish that you were normal?". All very valid, and private questions. However what this book does spectacularly well is bring to light the true question; What is "normal"? 

But the reality of their life is that during their childhood, as the children growing up today, we live in a very social media focused world. We see it every day with events happening all around the world, in seconds, an event, an accident, or for teenagers today, an embarrassing moment in their life can be streamed live across the world at the touch of a button. Tippi and Grace live in this world which is hard enough for any teenager, but for conjoined twins who are prone to being looked at and treated like a circus act it is understandably difficult. 

Tippi and Grace are my sheroes this year. They embrace all of life's 'challenges' and they swat them away without a second thought. However, as we see in this book, being so 'medically challenged' as some would say leaves them open to all sorts of medical challenges. Challenges that not even the medical staff at the top of their game know the answers to. And I for one can completely understand just how terrifying that thought is. 

We see that Tippi and Grace are just normal girls, growing up, learning how to navigate their way in life and the trials of being a teenager. Subjects that we take for granted; falling in love, dating, learning to drive, recovering after an illness, and such. 

Without spoiling the story, I have to say that the ending utterly broke me. I lay in bed eager to finish this book before falling asleep and I sobbed my heart out. I sobbed because of the true brilliance of Sarah's talent for writing, I sobbed for Tippi, and I sobbed for Grace. But just like in recent weeks here in the UK, at times when things are really horrific and heartbreaking in the most painful of ways, we see figures of the public pull together and show true compassion and humanity. If anything, this book truly shows that no matter just how ripped apart we can be and how life can throw the most cruelest of curveballs of loss, pain, and difficult decisions, it can also bring with it unconditional love, understanding, togetherness and unity. 

Truly this book shows that no matter what. We are all ONE. Which is why I easily award this book 5/5 stars. 

I would like to dedicate this review to all the victims that have suffered here in the UK in the past few weeks; the victims of the Westminster Attack, the beautiful people who are victims of the Manchester Attack, and the victims of the awful tragedy of Grenfell Tower Fire. Each and every ONE of you are in my heart, faces and names that I promise I will never forget. My love, my thoughts, and my prayers are forever with each and every one of you. 

We are all ONE. 


Post a Comment